Sunday, November 22, 2009

Cha...Cha...Cha...Cha...Changes

So, life once again is changing. Not that the house has sold or anything. But change is inevitable none the less.



This is a picture of Tyler as he leaves to head to the Bishop's house to turn in his mission papers. Yes, my boy is committing to serve a mission. I always knew that he would, but now the day gets closer and closer. We will probably find out where he will be headed to in about two weeks. Foreign? In the United States? Tyler doesn't care where he's called (although Japan is not big on his list. He doesn't like fish - any kind), he just wants to get on with his life and he wants serving a mission to be a part of his life.

It's been great to hear about where all his friends are going. Several to Brazil, one to Boston, one to Armenia. It's amazing that these young men are headed to spread the gospel abroad. I know that our Heavenly Father is in charge of all missions. Who else would send 19 year old "boys" out to spread the most important message that one can hear? It is through these young men that people learn how to turn their lives around and get on the path to eternal life. It's only with the Holy Ghost that hearts can be changed. Young boys bring the Spirit into people's lives. They help facilitate change for others, but they inevitably bring that Spirit and the message to their fellow brothers and sisters. They gain a love of their fellow man that they couldn't gain any other way.

11-25-09 Today was the day that Tyler continued in his quest to serve a church mission. He drove to the Stake Center to meet with the Stake President for a mission interview. One step closer. The Stake President, after the interview, pushed the "send" button to forward his missionary papers to Salt Lake City. He should be hearing from Salt Lake by December 10th.

Wow! It all seems closer and my tears are closer to the surface as well. I love this boy. For all of the stuff that parents and kids clash about over the years, he didn't dish out too much trouble. He is funny, smart, athletic, thoughtful and has a gift for making other's feel comfortable. He will be a great success.

I want Tyler to get on with the greatest days of his life - mission, schooling, marriage, family etc. I am so excited for him to get on with it. But I am also missing that little boy who told me in 5th grade that he would never stop holding my hand OR kissing me goodbye in front of his friends (so all of his words are not solid gold). The one that tells the other kids, "don't talk like that to Mom", the one who has such great wit and makes me think I'm actually funny!

My one wish is that he does leave for bigger and better things. Get on with his life. There is so much to enjoy. But I do have one more wish, I wish that he will always want to come back (and maybe, once in a while, want to hold my hand).

1 thoughts on this subject:

~*Autumn*~ said...

I know it's hard, but it's rewarding too. I can only imagine how I will feel when Landon submits his papers. Thank goodness we know they are protected by Heavenly Father. I don't think Mothers would let their sons go any other way.