Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Renew my "Mommy" contract, please!

Day after day we tend to do the daily grind of being a Mommy. We wash, we clean, we cook, we kiss, we tuck-in, encourage, etc, etc, ETC. Sometimes we get not much for the efforts except rolled eyes and the stomp of the feet. Sometimes we get a hug and a kiss from those that have gotten plenty of "lovin" over the years from us. But sometimes you have a moment that makes your heart melt and gives you the pat on the back that you so surely need about all your efforts. I had a moment like that yesturday. I'll share the conversation with you. Let me set it up:
I am in the bathroom doing my hair and Brigam is talking up a storm to me about what? I really don't know. I am just hoping there isn't a test on the subject matter later. Out of the blue -
Brigam says: "Mom, did you go to school to learn how to be a Mom?"
Me: "No."
Dramatic pause while I roll that around in my head.
Me: "Do you think I need to go to school to learn how to be better a Mom?"
Brigam: "No, I just think you're a great Mom and I wondered how you learned how to do that."
Give me lips, boy! That totally made my day and I had to kiss him right then and there!
What a sweetie! I'd like to renew my Mommy contract for another eternity, please!

9 thoughts on this subject:

Heather said...

That is very sweet... I bet he got some special treatment the rest of the day!

Marilyn said...

Terilyn, thanks for sharing that. It totally made my day,and it wasn't even my kid who said it.

Shayla said...

Oh, I love that. Can I pretend my child said it to me? :-)

tharker said...

That is so sweet. I love Briggy!

MadMadameMim said...

That is really awesome. My oldest goes polar on me quite regularly either lots of praise or lots of critisms, not hard to guess which I prefer. He is very attentive so the hard thing about the critisms is it is usually true ;)!

Ms. Kristen said...

I love how you say....Give me lips! I can totally hear you say it! I love Brigham too!
I think we all had training in the pre-existence on being a mom!!

Taunya said...

You managed to make me teary eyed! I love moments like that. They make motherhood all the more sweeter!

S. Schuller said...

What a cute story. Brigam is so sweet and he's right: you are a GREAT mom!

Jan said...

I love those tender mercies that give us mom a little adrenalin to keep on keepin on. Thanks for sharing Terilyn. Love it.