Monday, March 8, 2010

I Need YOUR Permission?

Tyler has finally informed me of the appropriate times that I can cry during his Leaving-On-A-Two-Year-Mission process. I was really awaiting this information because I think I scared him at Dirks farewell two Sundays ago. I was crying before Dirk even got up to speak and I continued through the whole thing. Mike mentioned this to Dirk and said, "I think she cried more than your mom did." I can't help it!
I am not crying because I don't want you to go. Or even that I won't be able to look into your face 3D like for two years. I'm not even crying because I don't think you will be safe.
I am crying because my job with you is really done. If you haven't learned what we've taught you by now, you'll probably have some hard lessons in front of you. Crying because of relief? Joy? Memories? The future? Probably all of them and a little more, but I am not crying because I don't want Tyler to go. I am so excited for Tyler to start out on his life. I can't wait to see what he's going to do with it and who he's going to bring into his life. There is more joy to be had, people.
As I said before, I have been given permission to cry, only once. I have been clearly informed that I can cry when I drop him off curbside at the MTC, but I am not allowed to cry AT ALL at his farewell when he speaks at church this Sunday.
My answer to that?
"Tyler," I said, "I am a well hydrated woman and the water will flow when it has to."
Tears of Joy - really.

4 thoughts on this subject:

MadMadameMim said...

my parents are sticking my younger brother onto a plane straight to Brazil tomorrow morning. It is definitely a bitter sweet moment. I can't wait to do it myself, and yet I can :)
Good Luck Tyler, and Mom!

Mongolia, Choibalsun said...

Where did Dirk get called to?

tharker said...

I just got all goose bumpy even thinking about the day that I will send Josh off. The way that you described it really sums it all up.

We'll see you next Sunday! Can't wait!!

Roxy said...

I think a mom's emotions trump the son's wishes...after all, you went through labor for the little squirt! Fire hydrant is the name, and cry'n's the game. I am sure you have taught him well.