Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Just a mild indication that my children will NEVER drink coffee


So Mykie had her first experience with a Starbucks today.
It all started last week at middle school in one of her classes. Mykalyn is working on a clay sculpture illustration from one of the pages of her favorite books. She needed some clay which her teacher provided. Well, Mykalyn was doing a terrific job with the clay provided (that's a different story, but she's really good at sculpturing), but needed a little more to complete the job, so she went back to the teacher for more. Unfortunately, he was out of clay.
Somehow they got into a discussion about clay and if Craft Warehouse did or did not have any. So both wanting to be right, a bet was made. I know what you're thinking, "A bet? Isn't Mykie a Mormon?" The answer is YES she is and that life lessons are always being taught. Our job is to learn from the lesson being taught!  Mykie was going to learn that betting could be not enjoyable.
So she bet. The bet was that Mr. Tolkey would buy Mykalyn a soda if she was correct about clay NOT being at Craft Warehouse and on the flip side, Mykalyn promised to buy Mr. Tolkey a COFFEE if he was wrong. Sometimes we are so blinded by wanting to be right, that we don't know what we are doing!
Long story short.....Mykalyn LOST the bet. So she needed to pay up. Mr. Tolkey wrote down exactly what coffee she needed to purchase and she brought the paper home.
This morning, she told me that we needed to go buy him a coffee. I informed her that I would not be buying any coffee. I told her that she would be buying the coffee herself. Originally, I had given her $5.00 to buy more clay at school. She asked me if she could use the $5.00 I had given her for clay to purchase the coffee. I said, "Sure, Mykie. Take the money I gave you for school supplies and use it to pay off your bets." She looked a little pleased with that statement so I clarified that I (unsuccessfully) was using sarcasm and that there was no way that I was going to pay off her bet. She'd have to use her own money.
So I was nice enough to drive her to Starbucks this morning before driving both Jeremy and Mykalyn to school. She asked me to go through the drive thru. I told her "NO! I am not ordering the coffee." I told her that she'd have to go in the store herself, order it herself and purchase it herself. She wasn't too happy, but did it anyway. Jeremy and I sat in the car being happy, Jeremy didn't want to have to go in and "smell the coffee"!
Soon she came out holding the coffee like it was acid. She did spill some on her and the way she acted, you'd have thought she was picking up dog poop with her bare hand! She put it in the cup holder and started to complain about the smell of the coffee house - she was all worried that she smelled like coffee.
So then we have Jeremy in the car who has THE MOST SENSITIVE nose ever created. He had to have all the windows rolled down and he "can still smell it! Gross!" He was worried that he also was going to smell like that "evil substance" all day. All the way up to his school, she and Jeremy were talking about the smell and the way it makes one's breath smell, and wondered VIGOROUSLY why anyone would ever drink something that smelled so bad. It was a little comical, really.
Although it was funny, I have to conclude that coffee drinking will never be an addiction for either of those kids.

9 thoughts on this subject:

Anonymous said...

you can actually get some really yummy "mormon" drinks in starbucks...you should give it a try you are missing out! they make the yummiest carmel apple cider and SUPER yummy cream based frappacinos that are not coffee at all!

Terilyn said...

Yeah, but I don't think the kids could get past the smell of the coffee house even if it was in their heads. They'd probably see the cup and swear they smelled coffee no matter what. The mind is pretty powerful! That sounds yummy to me though. I did have a strawberry creamcicle drink there and it was yummy. Carmel apple cider sounds delish!

Anonymous said...

Coffee( the evil substance) is the BEST... Yes I am Morman, and I drink it. I find your post very offensive. Mountain Drew and Coke and all kinds of soda are worse that coffee, a natural bean with water. I'm sure if the word of wisdom was written for todays world, coffee wouldn't even be apart of it! We (mormans) drink hot drinks all the time, Hot chocolate and our bishop has said some tea's are okay! Have you ever tried it? don't knock it until you do:)

Terilyn said...

I am so sorry that you were offended by reading MY thoughts on MY blog. Maybe you should find something else worth your while to read.....something that is not so offensive to you.
I would think that there are many things that would offend a person worse than someone's personal experience with her children that includes coffee; something that I found quite funny. Some of us can just laugh a little more than others in this life.
I have another offensive idea - maybe you should put on a happy face......don't knock it until you do:)

Oh, and thanks for the idea to rewrite doctrine for "modern times".

Anonymous said...

hello i am another anonymous person, I totally agree with the person who got offended with your post!! yeah coffee is against the word of wisdom, but you shouldnt go and say that people who drink it smell bad, alot of people really like that smell...i know i sure do! you might have thought that you were doing nothing wrong but by you saying " its a evil substance" and the smell is soooo bad is offensive. you know people like you make the "mormans" look bad...no offense :)

Tiffany Fackrell said...

last time i checked anonymous MORMAN was spelled MORMON...you are a MORON! HA take that!

p.s. I am the first person who commented...and i actually thought this story was pretty funny, anything to get your kids not to drink the yucky stuff!

Tiffany Fackrell said...

p.s. I actually just hopped over here from amy olson's blog...she was my visiting teacher...i think i was bored one night when i couldn't sleep and blogged hopped...just so you know where i came from...hopefully that isn't creepy!

Terilyn said...

Thanks Tiffany, glad to see you here! Isn't Amy AWESOME? I just love her! And I don't think you are creepy at all.
Dear Anonymous people,
If either of you would have read MY blog, you would recognize that it was my CHILDREN who didn't prefer the smell of coffee. It is a smell that THEY cannot appreciate (should they hang their heads in shame?) This is their opinion and reactions as shared with ME that I found funny. Let us be clear about that. If you choose to be offended by someone not appreciating the smell of coffee, then it seems like you might have a pretty great life recognizing that someone else's smell receptors can offend you.
If you also noticed, the term EVIL SUBSTANCE was in quotes. If you knew me (or again read the post with any retention) you would know about my sarcasm. Since you don't know me, or since you don't have a sense of humor, maybe you should just find another blog to be offended with.
It's people like you that give a bad name to anonymous.

Roxy said...

I only wish I could teach my children a portion of what yours have learned from you, TL. I, for one, do think coffee is an evil substance. Satan lulls people into thinking it is OK, but when a prophet of Jesus Christ gets modern revelation that coffee is an unhealthy substance that needed to be singled out among the many unhealthy substances in this world, I would have to agree that this is one drink I don't mind leaving alone. There are many arguements of things that "are worse" in people's opinions, but if you truely are a Mormon, then one should believe in following the prophet's revelations received from Christ. Do as you will, that is why there is agency. I guess that is where I will end...on agency. Allow everyone to have their own agency as you have your own agency. Remove the mote from your own eye, before you want to have someone else remove their splinter.