Guess what I got to deal with on Monday (and it started out to be such a good Monday)? One of my precious little angels got SUSPENDED from their educational institution.
And the offender is........(I was going to say, "suspender", but I thought that might confuse some and make them start thinking of clothing items taking them completely off task of reading my blog)
JEREMY
Yeah, I know. Strange, but true. I was down at the court club trying my best to not be smeared all over the court during a game of Squish (if you haven't played, you're missing out) when the offender did the deed. When I came out my cell phone was ringing and it was the Bear.
He asked me if I had heard my messages yet.
No.
Ok, well listen to them.
Humm, wonder what that is about. Will it be messages telling me that as a mom I should have been home waiting at the door for my student-athlete to walk over the threshold and rehearse his whole day with me? My answer, I USUALLY AM, just not today.
On and on my mind went to defend my squish position while the phone dialed voicemail. But, what's this? Not Jeremy's voice on the line, but the princiPAL of his school.
"Mrs. Nelson (love that greeting! Great for a 28 year old). This is Principal Parker. I'm calling to let you know that I have had to suspend Jeremy for two days today because he was involved in a fight in the halls after school today. He will be able to come back to school on Thursday. Please give me a call when you can. Thank you."
Um - WHAT?????? Suspended????? My straight A, funny, feeling the love of his many teachers child suspended?
I called Mike and let him in on the news. (By the way, have I mentioned that I LOVE that Mike works an hour away and I am left to deal with all the many doctor, dentist, teacher, school needs all by my big girl self? I DO!) I told him what I knew and that I was wishing he was here to take care of the situation. I also told him I was not going to freak out. I knew about an altercation that Jeremy had had last week with a boy, the boy's group and a football. He came home with a mark on his head from that one. I was actually worried that he could be "jumped" on his way home from this group.
Then I remembered about another altercation Jeremy had with a different boy in the hall where the boy was pushing around a girl and Jeremy stepped in (or should I say shoved in) and told the boy to see what happens if he trys to push a girl around again (yes, I was the proud mama that day. Do you know that he still opens every door for me when we are out running errands etc. What a good boy).
I called Jeremy and he was totally freaked out and on the verge of tears because he had been suspended. I told him that I need to know every little thing that happened - THE TRUTH - because I know that a fight didn't happen because you offered to give this boy you fought with flowers and candy!
He did tell me. There was this boy in the hall (the one that pushes around girls) that threw a pen at one of Jeremy's friends. He missed, but Jeremy felt the need to say, "Wow, you are really a bad aim." The boy tried to explain to Jeremy that he was aiming to hit the other boy in the head. Jeremy again felt the need to inform him, "Then you really are a bad aim." Then the boy shuts Jeremy's locker for him forcefully. So Jeremy feels like he needs to repay the favor and shut the boy's locker. By now, Jeremy opens his locker again and reaches in to get stuff out when the boy kicks his locker shut - ON HIS HEAD! Ouch, that left a mark and that was all the boiling Jeremy's blood needed to start the fight. Jeremy really did start the physical stuff (jump on your back) first and one of Jeremy's friends came and pulled one boy off the other while a girl ran to get a teacher.
So that's the story. I called the principal and he explained the same situation, but he felt that Jeremy was more of a victim here (hummm, maybe Jeremy should have kept that "bad aim info" to himself) . There is a no tolerance fighting policy in the district and the principal had to dole out punishment to both students, but because Jeremy is a good student and wants to be at school and the Principal felt the way he did about the situation he gave him a break. Usually it is 3-5 days suspension for fighting. After it was all said and done, Jeremy got 2 days and I am sure the other boy got 3-5. The principal informed me that the other kid was somewhat a troubled kid and doesn't seem to have much of a positive attitude about anything.
He didn't get grounded or punished for this. That was originally why he was so freaked out. He thought he was in super big trouble. I don't let him on the computer or TV while school is in session. He has to wait until after school for his hour of computer and the no TV rule until 5:00 pm is still in affect.
I totally understand why he has to be suspended. There is a NO TOLERANCE policy for fighting and he was involved in a fight. I've always told my kids that when we are a part of a group (school, work, etc.) we follow the rules of the group. If we disagree with the rules and consequences, we don't blatantly disregard them. We get signatures, we talk to those in charge, we communicate why we think the rules need to be changed. Until that happens we either follow the rules or leave the group. That is why he is suspended. Rules of the group he belongs to.
So that is why Jeremy was out of school yesterday and today. He had to go on errands with me all day yesterday and play Squish with me at the court club too. That one was a bad move on my part. My arm is killing me!!!!Today, he'll go to work with me and read a book and hang out at boring, old court club for 4 hours straight! Fun for all! Man, this mom thing is fun to wrestle with sometimes!

2 thoughts on this subject:
I'm so proud of Jeremy for sticking up for the girl in the previous altercation! What an awesome kid he is. And I don't blame him for "starting the fight" after the punk slammed the locker shut on his head!
Wow, he sounds like a great kid...even with a "record". :-) And I have to know what squish is now.
Post a Comment