Friday, April 25, 2008

Have you hugged your Hubby today?

I worked at the gym this morning. I was there for the 5am-9am crowd. Now before you go feeling sorry for me, let me tell you something. Even though I have to get up so dang early to beautify myself and get there on time, I enjoy my 5 am (etc) crowd. They are fun and friendly.
Some of them I have gotten close too like Doris who is in a bell choir at another church that is putting on a performance this Sunday and has invited me to go. Or the Sanders who invited my family over for a little Saturday pre-Easter fun a few weeks ago. Or Carolee who is so incredible because she has lost almost 100 lbs and I am so PROUD of her. And Carolee's grandma, Vonda, who comes just to support Carolee. There are many more that bring a smile to my face, but today I had sad news from one of my regulars.
Vernon Jones came to check in and asked me if I could help him because he didn't know how. He said that he just lost his wife, Charlotte, on April 12th and checking in on the computer had always been her job. He was so sad, but was trying to get his life back to some what normal by coming into the gym. As we talked he teared up several times and I had to take some cleansing breaths to keep from breaking down right then and there. They were married 54 years and today happens to be her birthday. We spoke several times during his workout and I (almost) pleaded with him to come back often to spend time with us. He said that he might as well since he had nothing but the dog at home with him now.
Charlotte went very quickly and unexpectedly with problems concerning the gallbladder. Vernon told me that it wasn't suppose to go this way. He was supposed to go first because he is the weaker one of the two. It almost broke my heart.
After he left, I got to thinking about my spouse and how it would be if he were suddenly gone. I would probably NOT be back at the gym a mere two weeks later. I would still be in a puddle on the floor. My hat is off to Vernon for being there - anywhere but home where he told me that everywhere he looks she's there.
I thought about how I treated my husband the last time I saw him. Lucky for me I just saw him at 4:30 am this morning and left him with a quick kiss and an "I love you", but it isn't always that way. Sometimes I can be curt and (dare I say) downright rude to this man who still comes home to me every night. Sometimes we are in the same house, but not on the same page. I take him for granted and that needs to stop. I need to let him know how much I love him every time I get the opportunity because who knows when that will be my last time? I don't want to be saying, "I sure wish I had said or done this before this happened." I think something like that would stay swimming around in my head for quite a while. Regret has a way of doing that you know.
Don't get me wrong, I am so grateful for my knowledge of the gospel and the fact that I belong to a forever family, but I definitely need to make the most of the time that I have with him here on earth with me as well.
Just so I make myself clear (and it's down in www history) I LOVE MY HUBBY! I love that he loves me no matter what mood I am in. He keeps coming home every night and tells me thank you for little things that I do daily and tells me that I am beautiful. I love to hear him pray. He always thanks our Heavenly Father and asks Him to bless me for some minor little thing that I took effort on.
He doesn't have much time to "jaw" with my while he is at work, but I know that it is because he has great integrity and works for the company when he is at work. That company is lucky to have him. If more employees were like him, there wouldn't be any bad employer/employee relationship because there would be trust.
Just to sum it all up, I trust him with my life, my children and my heart.
I have to go hug my hubby now. I suggest you do the same!

4 thoughts on this subject:

Marilyn said...

Terilyn, this post is so wonderful. Thank you for such a great reminder. My hubby is out of town, but when he gets home, I will hug him big.

tharker said...

Thank you for sharing this Terilyn. A good reminder for sure.

P.S.
When I worked at the Racquet Club, my favorite group of people were the 5am set. They are the best!

Jan said...

Yes I have. He just got home from being gone for a week. Good post on husbands.

MadMadameMim said...

I too have to say thanks for sharing. Those of us who suffer with the demonds of depression probably abuse our husbands a little more than those who don't and I feel bad for that every day that I am sane. You make me want to work harder to make up for the hard times.