Happy Mother's Day!
I just love this day and my hat is off to all Mothers everywhere. You make the good in our world by the things that you do!
I gave one of the Mother's Day talks in church today. I complained about it a bit, but it was great because it was all about the lessons I learned from my great mom. She is one fantastic lady! Anyway, one of the quotes that I used came from a few different places, but I will credit it to President Gordon B. Hinckley from the Dec issue of the Liahona in 2007. He states the following:
E. T. Sullivan once wrote these interesting words: “When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted, he goes about it in a very unusual way. He doesn’t stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts. Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home and of some obscure mother. And then God puts the idea into the mother’s heart, and she puts it into the baby’s mind. And then God waits. The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts. The greatest forces in the world are (mothers and their) babies.”
This is true. The goodness in the world comes from the nature to nurture that is from us girls. Good job MOMS!
I would like to share a bit of my mother's day with you. I have poets in the house that I would love to tell you about.
The first one is from Jeremy. He happens to be 13 years old and "super cool" at school, but he is NEVER too cool to hug or kiss me even at his school in front of his friends. He loves his Mama and he ain't scared to show it. He does have a mind of his own, but he is always obediant (even if he loudly voices his displeasure at the request for obedience, I can count on him to get it done.) His poem that he wrote for me is titled:
She Is
She is
A daughter who became
A friend
A Wife
A Mother
She is
A gardner
A Booklover
Not a fun killer
She is
Creative;
A sould who crafts,
Without worrying
A crafter who teaches friends
She is
Always my Mom
Never my enemy
Often my love
She is
Terilyn Nelson
Is that not so cute and pulls at the heart strings? I love that I have my very own poem written by a teenager!
Mykalyn also wrote me a poem on the cutest homemade card complete with paper tulips and glitter. Her poem was an acostic. And for those of you who are not still in the 5th grade and have forgotten what type of poem that is, I have included the definition:
a·cros·tic
–noun
1. a series of lines or verses in which the first, last, or other particular letters when taken in order spell out a word, phrase, etc.
1. a series of lines or verses in which the first, last, or other particular letters when taken in order spell out a word, phrase, etc.
Anyway, her poem was done using my first name:
True daughters have great mothers
Eternal love lasts forever
Remembering you makes me feel safe, happy, great
I will never regret being your daugher
Love is going to last forever between you and me
You really are a true friend
No other mother is better than you
Isn't that so sweet? I love that my babies took effort and their brains to give me something so lasting. (By the way, Jeremy also gave me a Skor bar and an Almond Snicker's bar just because he knew they were my favorite. Go chocolate!)
Tyler did try to vocalize his feelings in a poem as well. It had something to do with might, light, fight and a kite, but I couldn't really follow it. I was laughing too hard at the RAP effort.
I did receive many other things from my family, but I don't have to mention them all. All I have to let you know is that I received LOVE today and I hope you did too.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all! And thanks to those that remember us!

5 thoughts on this subject:
To give a Mother's Day talk at church...oh how fun ;)
I loved Mykalyn's poem. What an awesome young woman that girl is becoming. (I just realized I can't call her a little girl any more. She is just growing up way too fast ;) )
I am glad that you had such a nice Mother's Day.
What awesome kids you have! I love the poems, thanks for sharing.
Sounds like the talk went well. I still can't believe how calm you were when you told me you had to give one.. good job momma..
That poem was so great. It is nice to receive those true tender mercies. And the other poem. And the chocolate. You scored a Skor. Lucky girl today. Glad it was wonderful because you are a great mother.
So fun seeing you too. Just loved it. I had no idea that you had moved to K. But I was lucky to have gone to that Freddies that day at that moment. It was a treat. Thanks.
I miss you TONS Terilyn. You are an amazing mom. I am glad you had a great Mother's Day.
I am impressed that you agreed to speak on Sunday! You are amazing and we need you back as the primary pres. of the 9th ward! Sounds good to me! Hurry fast!
Post a Comment