Saturday, May 17, 2008

Why Do You Smell Sweet As Sugar or What Kind of Air Freshener is That?

I have been busy this week. I have been in the kitchen for most of it. As many of you know I dabble in cake decorating. I really enjoy making edible art. So I was commissioned to make the wedding cake. Actually it was the wedding cupcakes and I needed to make over 100 of them. I baked them a few days ago and put them in the freezer to speed up yesturday's process. Good thing because it took FOREVER!

Usually it takes me about 2 hours do a cake. That doesn't count cooking or clean up. Yesturday I started at 10:00 am and finished at about 9:30 pm. I think my feet are swollen. I did stop for lunch and for about a 2 hour family bbq baby shower celebration, but when I got done, it was back to the frosting. You'd think that dots wouldn't be such a pain to make, but with fondant, they are. I hate fondant. It doesn't taste too good either. I think I will stick with frosting in the future.

Here's a photo of all my hard work (minus the mess I made)


They originally wanted just the small cupcakes, but I thought they needed a center or something, so I made a large looking cupcake. Mike says it looks fine, but I think it looks like a giant mushroom with chicken pox. Whatever, that's the great thing about cake as art. You eat it and no one remembers what it looked like, just what it was supposed to look like!

Mykie's bday is in October and I found this cupcake:


I think it would be so cute for her 12th-girlie-make-up-wearing-hair-dooing party. But I WON'T be making 100 of them!

2 thoughts on this subject:

Jan said...

Those look fantastic and so yummy Terilyn.

Taunya said...

I am just in awe of your many talents, Terilyn! Those cupcakes are so cute! And how were you able to take those boating pictures anyway? :)