So, I must admit (even though I don't want to), I baby my baby, Brigam. I think there are a lot of things he doesn't get away with because I have always hated meeting those "last born kids" that have been so spoiled that they are brats. I bothers me when I meet those that think the world owes them something (OK, I'm off my soap box).
Even though I don't think that Brigam is a spoiled brat in anyway, I have been somewhat lacidasical in giving him responsiblilities. Sometimes I think I am lacidasical because he is just so dang entertaining to have around and I feel that if I give him too much responsibility that he will lose his ability to be entertaining to ME. And on an entertainment budget like our family has, you'll take free entertainment where ever you can!
All that aside, I feel shagrinned to say that my 6 1/2 year-old son does not know how to tie his shoes. I have tried tie shoes in the past, but because I don't want to tie them FOREVER, I have repeatedly gone back to the velcro shoes. Brigam doesn't care. He thinks velcro is the greatest thing ever made for shoes. I have tried to get him tie shoes. He's got some tennis shoes Uncle Nate bought for him that tie. He thinks I am crazy to expect him to learn to tie shoes when velcro is such a much more convienent option.
I try to tell him, "Brigam, you have to learn how to tie your shoes sometime."
"Why?" is his reply.
"Because you just have to know how to tie shoes." I answer.
"Don't they have velcro on big people's shoes?" He asks.
"Yes, but big people velcro shoes are for people that are 80 years old and can't bend over long enough to tie their shoes." Is my great answer to this question.
"I can velcro their shoes for them. I know how to velcro shoes." And he's content with that answer and thinks his answer should be good enough for me.
It's not. I know that when he starts to play football in middle school, the coach won't be thinking good thoughts if Brigam keeps bugging him to tie his cleats and asking him why they don't make Velcro cleats.
But then my great "mom mind" had a terrific idea. Bribery. It has worked in the past and it could work for me now.
Brigam has been on a hunting/olden times (meaning Viking, not pioneers)/rock hunting kick (I know it's a lot and these items really don't mesh together, but sometimes it's hard to stay up with Brigam's imagination). He's been begging for some hiking boots for his "adventures". I have refused to get hiking boots because they don't make Velcro hiking boots.
But yesterday, I was out with Annette Sims and we went to some second hand kid's clothing store. I was perusing the store when I see a lovely little hiking boot in just his size. The price was right for bribery ($5.99) and I think that the previous owner couldn't tie shoes either because they looked brand new. Bonus for me!
I brought them home and couldn't wait until Brigam came home from school. When I told him I had something for his adventures, his interest was peaked. When I showed him the boots, it was all he could do to NOT let his eyes pop right out of his head. He was so excited because on the side of the boots was a little metal tag that read "WATERPROOF". Little thinks bring him joy. He was ready for all his adventures, until I told him the conditions: "You can only have these shoes on if YOU are the one tying them." That through him for a little loop and I tried to teach him a bit, but, let's face it, it's afternoon, 3 of my 4 kids are home, homework had already been ENDURED and my patience was somewhat lacking. He wasn't getting a "fresh" teacher. It took me about 30 seconds to realize my next great idea from the "mom mind" - get someone else in on the teaching. I told him to find his sister (she is a magical teacher) and have her help him. He took off like a shot to find her.
It wasn't 5 minutes before he was back and showing me how HE COULD TIE HIS OWN SHOES! I tell you, that Mykie is a MIRACLE worker! My child can tie his own shoes and it only c0st me $5.99.
It's kind of nostalgic, you know. He's my last one that had to learn. Now I just have grandchildren to look forward to learning these types of things. Geez, I hope Mykie's around then too!

1 thoughts on this subject:
Josh still doesn't tie his shoes. He will not do it! He tells me that he will learn in first grade. Nice.
Way to go Briggy! $5.99 doesn't sound too bad. Maybe I'll take up bribery too!
Post a Comment