Yesterday was a really great day! First, my husband made me a delicious omelet and I didn't even have to ask! It was like he read my mind! Actually, I noticed that he had one and said, "That looks good." I didn't even mean for it to be a hint, but he made me one anyway.
Then we had the great day continue at church with a great talk from one of our newest ward members. She spoke of Motherhood and how it is the greatest calling. I know that the media and the world wants us to feel like that really isn't important and that we, as women, are being forced to waste our time and talents as mothers, but I want to stand up and say NO! That's definitely NOT right! I love being a mom. The other day, Briggy was zonked out on the couch, Mike was getting his 40 winks and the other kids and I were in the kitchen just talking. They were eating ice cream (something I really miss - darn that scale!) and we were teasing, laughing, communicating and I thought, "Wow, I am really having joy in my posterity. I really like these people!" I love that I like to be with my kids.
The great speaker gave 10 things we should do as Moms-
1-Be at the crossroads. Be there after dates, school, etc. These are important times in their lives for true communication. ( I know for a fact this is true)
2-Be a real friend. Listen, laugh, joke and truly praise them
3-Read to your children
4-Take time to pray with your children; call down the blessings of heaven on them.
5-Hold FHE weekly and have the children be actively involved.
6-Take time to be together at meal times - share the day.
7-Read scriptures as a family.
8-Do things together as a family; birthdays, sporting events, recitals - sit together whenever possible.
9-Take the time to teach your children. You are their best teacher.
10-Love your child with Christlike love.
What a great reminder of what our real jobs are down here.
After a great lunch and a quick rest, we went with Tyler to have him receive his patriarchal blessing. What a fantastic spiritual experience that was. I came away KNOWING that our Heavenly Father knows and loves Tyler personally. He knows all about his strengths and his great abilities. He knows his very personality and HE likes it! What a super experience that was!
President James E Faust had this to say about the patriarchal blessing:
"The patriarch has no blessing of his own to give; the blessing is the Lord’s to give. God knows our spirits; He knows our strengths and weaknesses. He knows our capabilities and our potential. Our patriarchal blessings indicate what the Lord expects of us and what our potential can be. Our blessings can encourage us when we are discouraged, strengthen us when we are fearful, comfort us when we sorrow, give us courage when we are filled with anxiety, lift us up when we are weak in spirit."
Tyler was pretty quiet after his blessing and pretty much for the rest of the night. He went over to his friend's house for a few hours to see another friend off that was heading back to college, but I was glad I stayed up "papering with a purpose" and was awake when he came home. It was then that he waned to talk about his blessings and his feelings. He even wanted to read my blessing.(#1 Be at the Crossroads...) All I know is that I am even more impressed with what a great person Tyler is.
So even with losing 1 hour to "daylight savings" I truly had a full 23 hours of joy in my Sunday. Hope yours was delightful as well.

3 thoughts on this subject:
What an awesome day Terilyn. I love #1. And your night proves how effective it is. You are such a great mom. You are raising some wonderful children, and I am so impressed with each of them.
I know how much you want to have extra hours in the day, so I'm glad that losing one yesterday didn't hurt your feelings too much!
What a great day... I hope you remember it forever. Thanks for sharing the top 10.
Beautiful post and awesome advice. Being a mom is the best, especially on days like that! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment