Sunday, March 2, 2008

And the Calling is.......

A week ago Saturday, Mike and I had an appointment with the Bishop. I had a suspicion that it wasn't for Mike because he is the ward scoutmaster and once you have been called into that position, you either move or die so the appointment must have been strictly for me.
After the niceties were exchanged, the Bishop said that they were changing out the Relief Society Presidency (heart stops for a minute) then he said that he already had a new president (heart starts beating again) and that she had requested me to be one of her counselors. I think I was so relieved that the president was NOT me that I would have said yes to anything - even nursery - at that point! OK, maybe not nursery. I still had some wits about me.
Anyhow, I accepted the call to serve as the Homemaking Counselor. I feel a bit overwhelmed at the thought of enriching anyone.
I find it ironic that the Church is so skilled at teaching new things, but in an unorthodox way. For example, you get called to a position and after a bit you kind of get the hang of it. You understand the people you are serving, what's expected of you and you've got things pretty well organized and BAM; you are called to serve somewhere else. On the outside, and to someone who doesn't understand the callings we receive in the Church, it looks a bit inefficient. Someone gets good at something and, just when things are comfy, they have to go on to something new.
But in our Heavenly Father's plan it is efficiency at it's finest. Learn something - and learn it well. Then go on to learn something else to make you a better person. Not only by the skills you learn while serving, but from those you get to serve with.
I am excited to learn new things. I know a few things, but to have the opportunity to become more enriched with the sisterhood we share - I just feel very grateful.
P.S. By the way, I think that saying, "Congratulations on your new calling" seems a bit off since in our church we don't vote or aspire to have any calling. I think it is better said, "Congratulations on your opportunity to grow!" At least that lets everyone know what your purpose in serving is!

6 thoughts on this subject:

Taunya said...

Congrats on your opportunity to grow, Terilyn! :) I loved this post. It is so perfect how our Heavenly Father chooses callings for us. Thank you for reconfirming that to me!

AOlson said...

You will be so great in the calling Terilyn. You have always been amazing in your callings and I am sure that this one will be no different.

Ms. Kristen said...

Congrads to you! On your opportunity to grow! Ha! You are great at enriching others! The Lord knows what He is doing!

Jan said...

I think that sounds like a great calling for you Terilyn. I know that the minutes I have said, I could never do such and such, the next week I am asked to serve in that such and such. It never fails that the love our Heavenly Father has for us is evident in the opportunities he gives us to grow. Grow on then girly.

tharker said...

What an awesome opportunity for you to grow up...I mean grow Terilyn! heehee! (You know me and my sense of humor...if I love ya, I tease ya!)

This will be so great. You will be awesome. "The Terilyn Show" will be awesome in R.S.!

I so heart you, by the way. We NEED to get together.

Lee said...

Terilyn you will do such a fantastic job! You are totally perfect for this.