Today was a very special Sunday. After the stake Priesthood meeting tonight, Tyler was ordained by his dad to the office of an Elder and he received the Melchizedek Priesthood.
This was a BIG deal. So much so that I wanted it remembered and decided to do that through food. I planned a turkey dinner complete with stuffing and homemade gravy. We've been salivating over this and speaking about this dinner for 2 days. This morning, I got up early to start stuffing "tom" our turkey. We also had a linger longer after church today, so I was making cookies this morning as well. I had it all organized, the carrots in the pan ready to go, stuffing in it's oven safe bowl, the potatoes are cut up and soaking, the cookies were baking. After I cleaned up the kitchen at about noon it was time for tom to go into the oven. Shortly after that we left for church with Tyler a few minutes behind us. We go to Sacrament Meeting, then Sunday School, then I was in Relief Society when Jeremy came and got me out of class. When I went out there he told me that Tyler was complaining about me being irresponsible. What? Me? What did I do? Jeremy said that Tyler was sitting between Mike and himself. He turned to Mike and said, "Talk about irresponsible! Do you know who is irresponsible? Mom. She left the house today to come to church and left the oven on!" Jeremy said, "Um Yeah, to cook the turkey!" Then Mike got on Tyler about not checking the oven before turning it off and Jeremy said, "I'm telling!" That's when he came to get me. But do you think that Tyler jumped up and ran home to turn on the oven? Or that Mike went himself? No, Jeremy took me back to their class and pulled Tyler out for me. I was trying to wrap my mind around why Tyler would think that a turkey wouldn't need to be in the oven, but that it would miraculously appear right after church for us to eat. As he came out, he said, "I just didn't want the alarm company to call my cell phone and tell me that house was on fire. I was just trying to be responsible." Funny boy, I sent him home to start up the oven again and our 5:00pm eating plans were changed to 9:00pm. But it was delicious - every wit!
This was a BIG deal. So much so that I wanted it remembered and decided to do that through food. I planned a turkey dinner complete with stuffing and homemade gravy. We've been salivating over this and speaking about this dinner for 2 days. This morning, I got up early to start stuffing "tom" our turkey. We also had a linger longer after church today, so I was making cookies this morning as well. I had it all organized, the carrots in the pan ready to go, stuffing in it's oven safe bowl, the potatoes are cut up and soaking, the cookies were baking. After I cleaned up the kitchen at about noon it was time for tom to go into the oven. Shortly after that we left for church with Tyler a few minutes behind us. We go to Sacrament Meeting, then Sunday School, then I was in Relief Society when Jeremy came and got me out of class. When I went out there he told me that Tyler was complaining about me being irresponsible. What? Me? What did I do? Jeremy said that Tyler was sitting between Mike and himself. He turned to Mike and said, "Talk about irresponsible! Do you know who is irresponsible? Mom. She left the house today to come to church and left the oven on!" Jeremy said, "Um Yeah, to cook the turkey!" Then Mike got on Tyler about not checking the oven before turning it off and Jeremy said, "I'm telling!" That's when he came to get me. But do you think that Tyler jumped up and ran home to turn on the oven? Or that Mike went himself? No, Jeremy took me back to their class and pulled Tyler out for me. I was trying to wrap my mind around why Tyler would think that a turkey wouldn't need to be in the oven, but that it would miraculously appear right after church for us to eat. As he came out, he said, "I just didn't want the alarm company to call my cell phone and tell me that house was on fire. I was just trying to be responsible." Funny boy, I sent him home to start up the oven again and our 5:00pm eating plans were changed to 9:00pm. But it was delicious - every wit!
Anyway, back to the important stuff - being ordained an Elder. I am so proud of him. I have two brothers, but had never experienced someone close to me becoming an Elder. He is such a great manchild. This church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, prepares our youth to be leaders. It gives them the opportunity to Raise the Bar. They are asked to be more responsible, to serve others, to stop thinking about themselves. When they take this challenge they are on the path that God wants them to be on. They are not perfect, but they are incredible youth. This leaves them free to choose from so many good things they can experience in this life. This Priesthood is a responsibility that is great on an 18 year old shoulders, but I am so proud of him for wanting it and being worthy of it. He's going to be a great missionary. Here's to his future!

2 thoughts on this subject:
Great story! Well, at least you can rest assured that Tyler is one responsible guy ;)
I am glad that you finally did get to eat the turkey that night and that it is now a family story that will be told in the coming years. :) Congrats on raising a great young man who has such an amazing grasp on what he wants to do in life. But now that I think about it, how could he not be amazing with a mom like you!
Post a Comment