Saturday, June 20, 2009

She's Alright, Folks! She's Alright!

I just have to preface this post to let you immediately know that Mykie is fine. But today we had a huge scare.
Mykalyn had left our house to "drive" the lawnmower back to my parents house, just a block away. After a bit, the phone rang and, of course, no one answered it. I had an excuse, I was in the kitchen up to my elbows in raspberry ice cream so the answering machine came on. I heard an unfamiliar voice on the machine that said, "Um, your daughter just hit into my car...." That was all I heard. I ran out to Mike and told him, "Mykie has hit a car on Perry." He took off like a shot.
As I was waiting I was thinking to myself, 'How could she drive a lawnmower into a car and not know what she was doing?' Then I waited some more and started to get concerned. I was wondering where Mykie and Mike were. I wondered how much damage one little girl on a lawnmower could do and how much time it took to assess that. So I sent Tyler and Brigam around the corner to see what happened. After a few minutes that seemed like hours, the crew all came back with Mykie in front crying. I took her into my arms to let her cry as Mike said, "She went up on the hood. There's a dent in his car." I looked at Mykie and lovingly (but I think I was a little angry) said, "How could you drive a lawnmower onto the hood of a car and not just stop when you just hit the bumper?" Mike said, "Not with the lawnmower. She was on her bike. She ran into a moving car."
That's when I lost it. My baby had been hit by a car. Then I was all over checking out her cuts and bruises, but it was kind of hard as I was in tears.
This is what happened. Mykie was actually heading back to the house after dropping off the lawn mower. She cruised off of 11th and whipped onto Perry Street right into a couple's car that was coming down Perry. She couldn't stop fast enough and he slammed on his breaks, but it wasn't soon enough. She hit the bumper and then hit the hood.
She was pretty shaken up about it, as anyone would. She could remember her phone number, but she couldn't tell the gentleman her name and she asked him if she really just hit his car. He wanted to call an ambulance, but she was adamant that he didn't. I don't know why. Then her daddy came and she felt much better.
Then Mykie spent the next hour replaying the scene over and over in her head. That will drive you crazy! She cried and iced her ankle. As she was sitting on the kitchen floor icing her ankle and crying, I was glad when Tyler came in and said, "What's up Evil Knievel?" Which really lightened up the mood.
She is fine. She says she didn't hit her head, but I think she might of because she has 2 areas on her head that feel like they have bruises. Her ankle hurts a bit, she's multi colored with black, blue and yellowish hues, but she's ok and still with us.
We are just so grateful to our Heavenly Father for protecting her. We've all said our own prayers of gratitude for her safety.
The man that was involved in the accident with Mykie has already called us to check in on her. I made it clear that we weren't angry. It was just something that happened. We realize that it has a bad effect on him as well. It would ruin your day hitting someone even if it wasn't your fault. He was very sweet. He was an older man that was just leaving his son's house that he had been visiting. Thank goodness he was older so he wasn't racing down the street in his car like some of those younger drivers do. His wife ran back to get their son to check Mykie out. He is an EMT. He thought she was OK, but of course told us to keep an eye on her.
Just a reminder to tell your kids to be so careful coming around the corner. Cars aren't expecting kids to whip out there on their bikes!!!

5 thoughts on this subject:

David and Jenny said...

Oh my gosh!!!! We're sooo glad she's okay!!!

AOlson said...

Oh my goodness!! How scary for all of you! I am glad she is okay.

tharker said...

I'm so glad that she's okay! So scary!!!

~*Autumn*~ said...

Holy smokes! I am SO GLAD Mykalyn is still in one peice and fine, besides the scratches and bruises. What a scare though! I'm just glad that you didn't know what really happened at the very beginning when you got the phone call. Otherwise you might have been one messy raspberry ice cream plastered woman running down the street hysterically screaming and crying. They might have needed an ambulance for you. I'm not making light of the situation, just thankful that sometimes God knows what's best for us. I sure am grateful she's ok and you are too.

Roxy said...

Your family has had some scary incidents. Thanks for sharing. I had my son read it, because he thinks he knows it all and is so smart. He is one of those boys that race around in the middle of the street, chasing cars to see if he can beat them...I hope this will give him a sense of being a little more careful. How's the new house, new neighbors, new ward going? New schools too?