Friday, January 25, 2008

Take it to the Mat

Yesterday was Jeremy's first 7th grade wrestling meet. Highlands vs Desert Hills. Jeremy has been practicing for a while now and has had some experience in the past from being a member of the Mat Rattler's wrestling team. He was quite excited about this meet. His practices leading up to this meet were somewhate schizophrenic. Sometimes he'd come home knowing his potential to be Washington's State Champion in 2013. Other practices were "stupid" and completely frustrating for Jeremy. Somedays I live in an amusement park with a roller coster that goes up and down, but I never know when the dips or climbs are coming!
Anyway, Briggie and I show up about 3:55, Tyler at 4:10 and Mike at 4:15 all there to support our little State Champ who is all decked out in red and black and looking very much like a wrestler. He was there to support his team, cheering from the sidelines, but as I continue to see the wrestlers come out on the mat, I turn to Mike and ask, "Jeremy weighs more than those kids?" For those of you who don't know how a meet works - the little guys go first then up to the heavy weights. Jeremy is really one of the little guys at 85 lbs, so I keep seeing these boys come out on the mat - but they are starting to look a little bigger than our Bear. Mike goes down to check out the situation and finds out that Jeremy will not be wrestling today. The other team didn't have enough boys in his weight range to wrestle, so Jeremy will be there to cheer on his team today.
Jeremy did a great job in cheering on his team and supporting them. I was proud of him.
After it was over, I kind of felt bad because he came over to me and said, "I'm sorry for wasting your time." Sad to think that he has to perform for my time to not be wasted. I wonder where I gave him that impression in the past? Must have been a "Bad Mommy Moment". I told him it wasn't a waste. We were happy to be there to support him and his team. Everyone needs cheerleaders and that's what we were doing.
Hopefully, he'll get to wrestle next time, but seriously, I just enjoy the fact that I get to be there to watch him. He's so dang cute in his little wrestling uniform!

1 thoughts on this subject:

Ms. Kristen said...

Go Jeremy!!! You rock! You are awesome!