Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Boy Scouts Of America (or (better titled) Things That Can Make A Parents Job Harder)

Tonight we attended a Court of Honor. For those of you who don't have scouting aged boys, that is where the boys are awarded their patches for the merit badges they have earned. Lots of boys LOVE scouting. My boys do not. It all started with Tyler. He was enjoying scouting until about 7th grade. Uniforms, respect, helping little old ladies across the street - now in 7th grade these things are not cool (I think he also had a few leaders that didn't like scouting at all and some that were 110% scouting FOREVER. I think visiting those two ends of the spectrum in 2 years was too much for our Tyler.) I admire those that face their crowd of peers and say that they actually enjoy scouting. Personally, I think scouting is great because it gives opportunities for the boys to gain experience and knowledge about many, many, many things without having to dive totally into something with no understanding of it at all.

Tyler FINALLY earned his Eagle. We are so proud that he did it, but kind of sad because he really didn't enjoy the journey. In fact, he doesn't even want a Eagle Court of Honor even if there is dessert involved. He just wants us to be off his back about it.
Jeremy is kind of along the same lines as Tyler, but only because of Tyler's attitude. I tell him that it is OK to like scouting because of the many faucet's it can open up to him. Just because Tyler doesn't enjoy it doesn't mean Jeremy doesn't have to enjoy it. These guys are as different as night and day so why do they have to agree on this one thing? Deep down, I think he does enjoy it, he just doesn't want Tyler to think he's not cool.
Brigam, on the other hand LOVES scouting. He's only 6, but every time we go to something that has to do with scouting, he has to wear the old Cub Scout Shirt and Neckerchief. He loves the uniform and looks forward to the day that he will get to be in scouts. Let's hope this sticks.
Like I said, scouting is great when you don't have to berate! What makes your job harder?

0 thoughts on this subject: