Now we're at the end of another one of those times in life that parents either look forward to with joy or loath it completely; the end of P/T Conferences. Like Tiffani said, you never know what you're going to get. You hope for the best, but don't want to look too confident (giving the impression that you really don't know your kid).
Mykie's conference was great. Her teacher loves her and thinks that she is great to have in class. She said that if Mykie had to go to 6th grade at the middle school today, she'd be ready. She's got the social, organizational, and learning skills she needs to be there. I am so proud of her and her abilities to push herself. Math has been tough, but she keeps working at it - on her own, by herself. Amazing. I told Mykie's teacher that I tell Mykie that I wish that everybody had a Mykie. Life would be so great for them. Mykie's teacher is pregnant and she said, "I hope I have a Mykie" while pointing to her belly. That comment thrilled Mykie. Mykie was proud to get letter grades for the first time in her educational career. She earned 3 A's and 1 B. She really puts a lot of effort into her schooling. I am proud of her.
Jeremy's conference was different than that of McLoughlins. Here, you make an appointment with his teachers and they all come to the same classroom for the student lead conference. He'd written down goals and what he had done positively through the quarter. I was impressed with his writing and his personal insight on himself. He also got some great grades (6 A's 1 B) and his teachers were so complimentary it made me want to cry. Even the science teacher that everyone hates. He said that he really loves having Jeremy in class. That not very many kids earn 100%, but Jeremy did. Jeremy even graded himself on his behavior in the classroom - he gave himself a 2 out of 3. His science teacher said that a 2 was too low. He never saw anything less than a 3 behavior-wise out of Jeremy. Wow, I knew that he was going to be a rough teacher (from parental comments I had heard), but Jeremy looked past that and really enjoyed learning from this teacher. Jeremy really has grown so much since we've moved over here. He is so much more in control of his actions and of his feelings. He really is so fun to be with.
Tyler has finally gotten a 4.0 at Pasco High School. Mike and I are so proud. He got an A in weight training. Um, yeah, that was the only class he took at PHS this quarter. We are so proud of that 4.0 and told him so. He hasn't gotten grades from CBC yet, but I am sure that they will be fine. He is a pretty good student and understands the importance of his college grades even if he is in high school.
School is their job right now. It's about their only job and the kids are doing a great job at it. I am impressed with what all kids have to learn now. I don't think that we were expected to know that much about so many things when we were in school. Maybe I just need to play that game, "Are you smarter than a the grader?" I might have forgotten what I was supposed to have learned! Do you think that kids are expected to learn so much more now?

3 thoughts on this subject:
Good for you! Sticking up for your kids! I loved the blog about Brigam! Yes, postive eliminates the negative! That is the only way to direct a child in the way they should go!
Teachers need to be reminded! They have a tough job, day in and day out! That is why it is important to have parent teacher conferences!
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
How are your parents? Are they surviving? We miss you in Pasco!
We love ya!
Kristen
We had our first conference this year. We found out that Little Man's PE teacher is giving all the K a Minus in PE this trimester. It bugs me. He said by the end of the year they should have a plus. Stupid teacher.
You need to call me.. we need to talk. Please. :)
Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.
Post a Comment