Sunday, November 4, 2007

What are you Thankful for?

Last night we went to a Kennewick East Stake performance called CELEBRATE AMERICA

It was truly unbelievable the talent that is hidden in one
stake. We actually were going because Mykalyn was in the children’s group.
(Sorry the pictures are so bad; I am trying to get Mike to cough up the dough to buy a cool camera like Lees! I am using the old “if you take enough bad pictures, they are going to help you do it right” routine.)
Mykie is in the back row, third one in. It was pretty cool on this song
(Nifty Fifty) because they were holding cards that actually made up the flag of the Good Ol’ USA. They did a great job and had two numbers.
This next couple, Fred and Pat Dixon, have just celebrated their 43 wedding anniversary. They had 4 daughters and now have 13 grandchildren and even some great grandchildren. They sang some cute “the art of raising parents” songs. One was called “Never Say No”. I thought this song was so cute and really so revealing of what happens when a parent says “NO” that I had to include the lyrics with it:


"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh! Dog's got to bark, a mule's got to bray. Soldiers must fight and preachers must pray. And children, I guess, must get their own way The minute that you say no.


Why did the kids pour jam on the cat? Raspberry jam all over the cat? Why should the kids do something like that, When all that we said was no?

My son was once afraid to swim. The water made him wince. Until I said he mustn't swim: S'been swimmin' ever since!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh! Dog's got to bark, a mule's got to bray.
Soldiers must fight and preachers must pray. And children, I guess, must get their own way The minute that you say no.

Why did the kids put beans in their ears? No one can hear with beans in their ears. After a while the reason appears. They did it cause we said no.

Your daughter brings a young man in, Says "Do you like him, Pa?" Just say that he's a fool and then: You've got a son-in-law!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh!Sure as the June comes right after May!Sure as the night comes right after day! You can be sure the devil's to pay The minute that you say no.


Make sure you never say...No!


Doesn't saying “NO” sometimes give you a scary kind of feeling of things to come?
There was this fun women’s trio that sang Boogie Woogy Bugle
Boy. They were energetic and full of smiles. Mykie and I loved this group. She told me about it at all her practices.
There were tons of performances by groups and great soloist that sang Summer Time and hit those high notes in a fantastic way, but the best (or most entertaining) was the Young Men’s Quartet. They didn’t sing, as much as they lip-synced and danced.
The dancing was so great. It was reminiscent of the 70’s in style, but it was choreographed so well. The boys are part of the “in-crowd”, but weren’t afraid to be silly and entertain us all! I wish I had it on video so I could share it with you all. You’d all get a good laugh!


The only downfall for the evening was Brigam. He kept saying, “I hate singing” and hang his head. I did get him to pose for one picture, but as you know pictures can say 1000 words. Brigam’s says boredom!


It was a great performance ending with the song “Proud to be an American” were the audience was invited to “stand up” and sing with the entire cast on the last chorus. That is one of my favorite songs and always fills me with pride and a host of goose bumps on the arms. I do love America and feel so blessed to be here. What a great show to kick off the Thanksgiving season to remind us that we do have so much to be thankful for!


Enjoy your day and don’t forget to say “thanks” for the blessings that are your own!

2 thoughts on this subject:

tharker said...

I heard about this today at church. Yeah, someone actually got up and gave us a bit of a play by play of the night's events for their TESTIMONY...but whatever! My frustration with travel logs, stories about their dogs, and thankfulmonies in place of an ACTUAL testimony are a completely different story!!!

Oh sorry, did I go off there?

Anyway, I heard that it was a great performance. Good for Mykie for having a part. I'm lovin the picture of Brigam's boredome. Josh would have been RIGHT THERE with Brigam in the boring department. If he doesn't like the song, he tells me it's hurting his ears. Doesn't matter if it's the quietest song in the world, it will still hurt his ears if he doesn't like it.

Man, I'm really rambling tonight. I need to go to sleep!

Lee said...

We meant to go to it!! Darn it we forgot. And if you want some tips on your camera call me. I will teach you everything I know. We are in the directory. the HHH ward.